Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Video Montage project


For my video, I chose the color blue. Originally I was going to go with purple, but I thought about some really cool shots I could do with the color blue, so I changed colors. To me, blue is a very calm, relaxing colors, so I tried to take shots and find videos that were a bit slower to give a feel of that calmness. In a lot of the shots, I used videos of liquid moving. Blue is often related to liquids, such as water (though the blue liquid in the shots that I actually took is either Mountain Dew or soap), and liquids make shapes that are interesting to look at when they move. A couple of the shots are only supposed to emulate liquid movement, like the shot of the teal sheet moving. In regards to types of movement, there is camera movement in the shots of my dorm room, which is conveniently blue. A lot of the movement is either abstract or environmental motion. There is technically a bit of human motion in the shot of the sheet, as the motion was created by me grabbing the end of the sheet off camera and shaking it. There is also a bit of animal motion in the clip of the whale towards the end of the video. I did use a bit of editing, but it was mainly just mirroring or rotating the clip. One or two of the clips were a bit too fast to fit with the theme, so I slowed them down a bit. At first, I wasn't going to have sound. After watching the video through a couple of times, I decided that it really needed some sort of sound. I cannot even begin to say how tempted I was to use this song, but it's copyright material and wouldn't really fit with the calmness theme, so I didn't use it. Instead I grabbed a general ambiance track from a list of resources I have bookmarked on my computer.

Some of the shots that I was planning on doing didn't work out as well as I had hoped. It turns out that it's really hard to get ink out of a ballpoint pen to get runny enough to drip onto paper or into a glass of water.

List of shots:

  1. Particle animation from Youtube

  2. Me shaking a blue sheet

  3. Pendulum video from Youtube

  4. Slow mo wave video from Youtube

  5. Mountain Dew pour

  6. Mountain Dew pour (mirrored)

  7. Dorm room (left)

  8. Soap into water (upside down)

  9. Slow mo wave from Youtube (mirrored)

  10. Dorm room (right, not edited)

  11. Ink in water from Youtube

  12. Blue whale video form Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment