Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Meditation on Potato Salad

This project was a bit difficult for me. I'm not an audio person and I never have been. So I decided to just try and have as much fun with it as possible and hope that it didn't end up sounding like crap. I decided to use a phrase that would be random and at least somewhat funny. I had no idea what to use at first. Then I happened to see some potato salad and decided that the phrase “potato salad” was suitably random, so I went with that. I recorded the phrase with my computer's mic and then went from there.
Since Audacity is a free program, I downloaded it and installed it and used that to make my project. I tried to make it rhythmic and a bit minimalistic. A lot of the experimental music pieces from the UbWeb response were had these characteristics, so I tried to emulate them. I also think that a minimalistic sound goes well with the idea of a meditation. Most of the sounds in my track are the recording of my voice edited. The rhythm part is the recording followed by two drum beats that were generated with one of Audacity's presets. There are also two other tracks that use the recording. One is the track slowed down to 50% and repeated numerous times. The other one is the phrase slowed down until it goes the entire length of the track. There is also a track with plucked strings, also generated with Audacity.
The track didn't come out sounding quite as musical or harmonious as I would've like. In fact, it's almost discordant. But, that's what a lot of experimental music is. While it's nowhere near what most people would consider good music, I like to think of it as exploring the boundaries of what can be considered music rather than a failed experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment