Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Response to 'Concerts of Everyday Living'

The author's explanation of the difference between playing music and performing on a stage - in the sense of a play - is quite ignorant. The author explained that when one acts, they play another person, but when one plays music, they remain themselves. This was the only thins the author hinted at as his/the historians' evidence for the difference. This irritates me.

Later on, Tudor was playing a piano on stage. At the beginning of each movement, he raised and lowered his keyboard. He didn't play. What beautiful music. Now, I've never been the most "artsy" person and I've never claimed to understand art, but how can this... silence be considered music, much less art? I don't understand how silence is a song. I guess that one using this silence as a form of expression could be considered a form of art because art is just a creative expression of emotions, but really, it is something that doesn't take much talent, something that shouldn't be praised.

Well, that is all I could gather from the reading - frustration.

By: Brad Parkkonen

No comments:

Post a Comment