Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Refreshing" word audio - assignment two

For my audio assignment two, I chose to pick the word "Refreshing." I chose this word because I  thought it seemed inspiring at the time (especially from the sound samples from the previous response assignment – History of Electronic / Electroacoustic Music) and that I may find multiple sound resources for this word and have some fun with it. While listening, you will notice I tried to insert a variety of different sounds such as: the word "refreshing," the process of getting ice from the freezer, closing the door to the freezer, putting ice cubes in a glass, sprays from a water bottle, a shower running, a moving fan, a rainstorm, a soda can opening, and a brief tone for an added piece.

What I learned while doing this assignment is that once I made a noise, for instance, to jumble around the ice cubes in the freezer... the sound within Audacity really seemed more complete if I added the action of having those ice cubes do something that is more of a true action as putting ice cubes in a glass. Otherwise, just hearing ice cubes in a freezer by itself sounded weird, because no one would really go into a freezer, move around the ice cubes and then close the door, for instance. Then I also noticed when I first recorded the fan noise, I was initially too close to the sound that I actually wanted to hear. So, a lot of my time working with the sound became times to learn how to help work with the sound to try to make it more real and true to the the source of the sound I wanted to hear.

To assemble this assignment, I used Audacity software, my laptop and my Mac earphones to collect the sound and finally Adobe Premiere to merge the audio with some generic video (copyright free) together and then uploaded this assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment