Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Concerts of Everyday Living Response

In this article it first talked about a movement that is known as ‘Fluxus.’ The author defined fluxus as a “defying group of artists” that were basically neglected by art historians. They didn’t do normal pieces of art though. He goes on to say how what they did was very unique or different from other artists. I didn’t get to read some parts of this article because some of the pages weren’t coming up as many times as I refreshed the screen. So I can only talk about what I was able to see. To be honest, none of what these artists did seemed very interesting to me. I couldn’t believe that people would actually waste their time conducting these works of ‘art’ and actually watch it. It just seems like anyone could do what they did. What I was trying to figure out was what made them so special if any regular human being could do what they did. There was one thing that I found interesting in this article. In the beginning it talks about an artist that is seemingly about to play the piano and come up with this new sound. But instead he did absolutely nothing. There was nothing but silence. I found this kind of different only because it probably surprised his audience. They came in there not expecting for that to happen. They were listening to the ‘sounds’ all around them whether that be silence itself or nature going on outside. This was interesting to read, but I wouldn’t have wanted to be one of those people in the audience. I just think it would be a waste of time to just sit there and listening to nothing. Yes, that was pretty much the point (with an even deeper meaning), but why go there and do that when you could easily do that from the comfort of your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment