Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Concerts of Every Day Living Response

The truth is, I greatly disliked this reading, along with this section in general. Which, I think is fine. Some people are into this sort of art or non-art, or music or un-music, or whatever you want to call it. To me, this is all pointless. This statement may make me a shallow person who doesn't think deep enough to understand this "Fluxus" movement, but that's just me and my personal opinion. To me, there is nothing deeper to a man not playing anything for four minutes and thirty-three seconds. This moment of silence is then categorized as music. Then someone goes, "Well how can this be music? There's no sound, therefore there is no music!" And that's when a "deeper" individual will retort, "Well there is no such thing as absolute silence. Even though the Cage isn't playing anything on his piano, it doesn't mean there is nothing playing. Listen to the sounds of your body, the sounds of nature and industry all around you. This is music, for this is sound." And so on. To me, this isn't thought provoking at all. This is merely just being a smart ass.

I get it, all sound can be, and is, music. One thing I can agree with was the statement that when an erratic, unknown noise comes to pass, and we do not pay attention to it, it is bothersome to us. Whereas when we actually stop to listen to it, focus on solely that noise, it becomes interesting to us, becomes music to us. Sure I respect that, since I've done this on numerous occasions, usually when I'm bored with nothing to do. So is that the underlying meaning? Boredom? Fluxus was all about change. I mean, change is the literal definition of Fluxus. So this would make sense. These artists were bored of what art currently was, so they took it into their own hands to change it. They did something that was the exact opposite of what everyone else was currently doing, and called it a revolution.

Sure this may make me sound closed minded, but this is just completely uninteresting to me. I love art, and I respect what some people have done/created/preformed in the name of art, but there comes a point where I just can't accept it. Granted, art isn't meant to be accepted anymore than it is really meant to be observed. But since our assignment is to observe and opinionate, this is my observational opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment