Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Purple Video Montage


This video is a montage of various elements that I found that may be a little unusual. For example, I included a record player and a cat to combine some different elements to add interest at my first attempt at video montage. A record player is something not usually seen nowadays and a cat seemed to add a little character. I tried to limit the amount of effects that were used while at the same time trying to make a piece that included abstract continuity with an understandable beginning and end. I tried to lean towards purple colored elements that were in motion, but continued to have reddish purple color frames throughout the video to create additional abstract shapes and forms. Purple, I feel is a great color to create some inspiration. I was careful not to have too many sounds and intentionally left out the music that was playing on the record player, because I realized it really was not needed. I also used a few closeups to focus on more non-representational imagery and therefore this piece may rely on some individual interpretation. Overall, I enjoyed making associations between each frame in order to compose them together.

Here is a list of the types of motion that I included: 1) Human motion was reflected in the blanket shaking and the object blowing stuff off cement (and shadow moving), since these types of motion would not be done by the objects themselves. 2) Vehicular motion included the car movements, but I realize I did not need to use a car to show this type of motion. 3) Environmental motion was shown with the drape moving by the wind and the outside backyard scene. 4) Camera motion made this video appear perhaps more abstract from manually moving the camera without a tripod. 

All of the shots were done by myself.

Example shot details:
1. Text title with credits: Reddish Purple
2. Old record player starts to play
3. Seattle World Fair record cover spinning
4. Blanket shaking
5. Cat closeup meowing
6. Cars moving
7. Inside car driving
8. Raspberries thrown into a strainer
9. Drape panels moving in soft wind
10. Panning a backyard space
11. Blowing stuff off cement
12. Closeup of wild flowers in a flower pot
13. Repeat Cat closeup meowing
14. Old record player ending play

No comments:

Post a Comment