Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Formative Computing Experience

I was born in 1981, so I am a bit older than most of the people in this class. My experience with computers still goes back to my childhood, as my parent's would likely be considered early adopters of the personal computer phenomenon. My father would often bring home an Apple 2 from his work, and I spent a great deal of time with it playing very basic games and tinkering around with the built in programming language. In late 1990 my parent's went all in and purchased an IBM clone. It was a 386 with a 16mhz processor and 4mb of ram. It cost well above what my family should have been spending on something like that (I think about $3,000 which was about half the price of our car), but my parent's really wanted their kids to grow up with computers.
I loved it, not only for EGA graphic Sierra adventure games that it could run, but because it was also hooked up to Prodigy. Prodigy was like an early version of AOL that offered message boards, news, weather, and some basic online games. I got deep into message boards when I was all of about 10, started programming in Qbasic (the compiler included with dos 5.0 and windows 3.1.
Things changed in my life when I joined the military. My work involved heavy computer use, but it wasn't really a pleasant environment. When I  got out I decided that I wanted to rekindle my computer obsession in a manner that was creative, non-harmful, and would potentially lead to a fun career. That is why I am learning how to make video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment