Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Video Editing for N00bs

This article gives several tips on basic video editing for people who haven't done any editing before, AKA noobs, to use the articles phrasing. It first went over the stuff you need for video editing, such as the correct software and some of the basic requirements for which computer to use. It then went over the importance of keeping all of your clips organized and planning out your video through the use of storyboards and such. It then went into a few tips on the timing of the video and then closed with advice on a credit roll.


I've done a little bit of video editing before, so some of this was stuff that I knew already. When I did the video editing I knew about keeping stuff organized and simple (Though I should add that this was not anything overly complicated. I think I did it with Windows Movie Maker.) There was a lot of stuff that I did not know before reading this article. One of these things was the thing with the A and B rolls.

It seems like it would be a common sense sort of thing, but with a lot of the videos you see, the editor only puts in the really important A roll stuff and leaves out a lot of the supporting clips from the B roll.


Another tip that I thought was a really cool idea was the music tip from the pacing segment. In it, the article suggested taking a piece of music with the tempo you want, and making the clips in the movie follow the beat in the music. When you are finished putting the clips together, you can then delete the music and either move on with the editing or put in music with the same tempo and beat to use as the actual music for the video. I thought this was a really cool little shortcut.

No comments:

Post a Comment