Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Response: Grace Taking Form

After reading Grace Taking Form: Marey's Movement Machines by Erin Manning, I was slightly confused, a little overwhelmed, but overall intrigued. Just the thought of a single man going through such lengths to study, experiment, and invent equipment and machines for all things imperceptible is astounding.

Manning describes Marey's work with such detail and overly thought-out, back and forth ramblings, one would almost be suspicious that the use of cocaine may have been involved. But with all due respect, I feel that this form of thinking and explaining is close, if not identical, to how Marley ticked. Only with the kind of mind that interminably overlaps itself can one really get so deep into the theory of movement, shape, light, and the perception of all that combined that they create machines to attach to the human anatomy in order to study it; that they invent machines to study the findings based off the previous machines, and so on.

Truthfully, going into this reading, I didn't see how this would better myself as a game designer or a designer in general. But as I continued reading, I began to feel a sense of understanding. This study, I feel got me closer to the root of what movement is, which I assume will open my eyes (so to speak) to not just usual types of movements like my fingers moving around this keyboard as I type, but like the pulsing movements of my hands when they're still, or the micro-movements of my eyes as they focus on the word/letter/pixel I'm currently staring at.

No comments:

Post a Comment